Friday, March 8, 2013

God is present

It's spring break, or "reading days" as it's called in grad school, and I am able to finally spend a few days at home visiting various family members and loving on my nieces and nephews. 

I love spending time with my sweet nieces and nephews because their innocence is a respite from the demands of adulthood. They are concerned and focused only on the present, and they remind me to take the time to rest in the present, too. Though I still have to devote time to reading and studying in preparation for upcoming midterms, I am intentional about being present for them without worrying about future concerns.


Children have a way of prompting you to observe and reflect on how you spend your time and energy. Is it spent worrying about the future or are you available to see the beauty in the present?


As I reflect on my time spent with my nieces and nephews, I am reminded of the importance of resolute faith. They have unwavering faith in me. When they jump, they know I will be there to catch them. When they succeed, they know I am there to cheer them on and support them. When they are scared, they have faith that I will hold them tight, comfort them, and reassure them that I am present with them. 


Our faith in God should have the same unfaltering, steady, and enduring qualities. 


We will have to take leaps into the unknown, and know that God is present. 
We will succeed at some endeavors, and God will be present. We will be scared at times, and God will hold us, comfort us, and God will be present. 

We must continue to have faith in God like children have in us. This type of faith is developed and cultivated through an intimate relationship consisting of trust and hope. Even when we feel like God doesn't care, we have faith that assures us and gives us hope that God is present. My nieces and nephews have reminded me of this, and my faith has been strengthened during this break by seeing their constant and hope-filled faith in me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment